World Health Organization insists Pride parades go on despite monkeypox concerns

Click here to read the full article.

On Monday, a World Health Organization (WHO) advisor said people shouldn’t change their plans regarding attending pride parades in June due to the increased circulation of the monkeypox virus.

Andy Seale, a strategies adviser in the WHO Department of Global HIV, Hepatitis and Sexually Transmitted Infections Programmes, said at Monday’s public briefing that the organization has linked cases to a number of “social events” in European countries. “It’s important that people who want to go out and celebrate gay pride, LGBTQ+ pride, to continue to go and plan to do so.”

He added, “There is no specific transmission route that we need to be worried about. It really is connected to the fact there have been a couple of events that have perhaps amplified the current outbreak.”

According to The Hill, WHO experts have said that sex at two raves recently held in Europe are the leading theory for the spread of the virus. The virus is endemic in parts of Africa.

The WHO has said that several cases have been reported among men who have sex with men, and released public health guidance on monkeypox last week specifically for men who have sex with men. The virus spreads through close contact with an infected animal or person, typically through lesions, body fluids, contaminated materials and respiratory droplets.

Continue reading here.

Scroll down for comments and share your thoughts!

Author

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Florida sheriff promises to kill mass shooters without hesitancy

NYC Councilwoman cuts CUNY law school funds over antisemitism